Singularity Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are we even fit to be a task group?

+11
VSterminator7
Blackout13425
Legion
TheIrishGhost
Satan
Brayton
MasterMedicMan
Filtershakes
HereticsEnd
Nazz
The Soviet Pikachu
15 posters

Go down

Are we even fit to be a task group? Empty Are we even fit to be a task group?

Post by The Soviet Pikachu Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:03 am

Alright this might seem a bit long but I'll just post this here and see what happens seeing as ICLY and OOCLY this idea has been thrown around.

So, to put it simply. Are we fit to be a military task force? Honestly I think not. Military personnel only make up so much of the crew, while those with a military background, mercs, or just plain conscripts make up a larger section. Again and again the issue of civilians on the ship holding ranks in the military and being thrown out to shoot things continues to happen. Don't hold the entire crew to a standard found in the military when they've only been shooting things for a month. And before you use the whole "If you don't like it leave." card, no. Because people have worked hard on their characters, and put so much time into them.

If I must be completely honest I feel the crew would be better off as a relief effort over a "Go here, shoot this, get PTSD." group. Which in all honesty, it is. The crew just doesn't have the strength or will to go from system to system to be shot at, lose someone, and everyone falls into a depressive state. Again the whole "Don't like it leave it." Card can kiss my ass. Just look at every character that has been around long enough. The ship is riddled with drama, mental illness from stress, and just overall dis-functioning at times. The entire CO's are all military, understandable, but them thinking civilians and people who own a gun and call themselves mercs makes a team must be completely delusional.

The fact we go from battlefield to battlefield in the span of a week is honestly crazy. Are there really that many Cerberus bases Shepard hasn't destroyed, or weren't deserted after their HQ was destroyed, and the Illusive Man was killed? Pirates and raiders are understandable, but I don't think Cerberus would have the will power to keep going so strongly after the events of Mass Effect 3. Honestly events are just go, there shoot that, get shot, die. Nothing passive, ever. The ship gets shot to hell after every big fight when the crew claims it to have a stealth drive. The ship is in no ways meant to serve as a military vessel, even with all the upgrades.

"So then what the fuck do we do then?" Simple, change our mission. There are other people more qualified to fight. Real soldiers. We're just a ragtag group of people who want to do good. We can do other things then shooting Cerberus remnants or being thrown into Thresher Maw territory. We can go to colonies, help them rebuild, deliver supplies and aid. "But that's dumb!" Well you know what's dumb? Sending the crew, who is mostly nonmilitary, to fight battles other people are more qualified as I've said earlier. Just because we're helping colonies doesn't mean we won't get into the odd fight from pirates or something. So don't think just because we don't mainly shoot things means we won't at all.

This is my long ass rant. Take it as you want. Hate me if you want. Start a flame war if you want. These are just my thoughts.
The Soviet Pikachu
The Soviet Pikachu

Back to top Go down

Are we even fit to be a task group? Empty Re: Are we even fit to be a task group?

Post by Nazz Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:22 am

If we're meant to be a military task-force, then shouldn't the people on the ground be people who can handle it? Not, "Here you go mister engine-room worker, go shoot the bad guys good."

I truly believe that a lot of the drama and mental illness stuff just stems from poor character writing, and the inability to properly RP the shit from the get-go. A lot of people tend to assume that all PTSD is, is a bunch of mental breakdowns with the throwing of hands along with screaming and shouting. Misconceptions like this tend to lead to flat-out 'bad roleplay', because not only do people spread these logical fallacies, but they do so in a way that makes people believe that characters who're suffering from these illnesses to be derogatory retards, for lack of better terminology.

Now, people are probably going to go; 'Well jiminy-jillickers, Nazz. Why are you so desensitized to other peoples' problems!!!!!!????!!!111!!!1one!'.

Welp. I can sum it up in one phrase; Make characters that fit the plot, not a plot to fit the characters.

Like any game-world, the people running this server have set the tone. Like a storybook introduction, they've given us the what, where, when. It's up to you, the players, to fill in the who. The who should coincide with the majority of the plot-points, not re-write the entire story for a few new characters.
Nazz
Nazz

Back to top Go down

Are we even fit to be a task group? Empty Re: Are we even fit to be a task group?

Post by HereticsEnd Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:37 am

The Soviet Pikachu wrote:
Alright this might seem a bit long but I'll just post this here and see what happens seeing as ICLY and OOCLY this idea has been thrown around.

So, to put it simply. Are we fit to be a military task force? Honestly I think not. Military personnel only make up so much of the crew, while those with a military background, mercs, or just plain conscripts make up a larger section. Again and again the issue of civilians on the ship holding ranks in the military and being thrown out to shoot things continues to happen. Don't hold the entire crew to a standard found in the military when they've only been shooting things for a month. And before you use the whole "If you don't like it leave." card, no. Because people have worked hard on their characters, and put so much time into them.

If I must be completely honest I feel the crew would be better off as a relief effort over a "Go here, shoot this, get PTSD." group. Which in all honesty, it is. The crew just doesn't have the strength or will to go from system to system to be shot at, lose someone, and everyone falls into a depressive state. Again the whole "Don't like it leave it." Card can kiss my ass. Just look at every character that has been around long enough. The ship is riddled with drama, mental illness from stress, and just overall dis-functioning at times. The entire CO's are all military, understandable, but them thinking civilians and people who own a gun and call themselves mercs makes a team must be completely delusional.

The fact we go from battlefield to battlefield in the span of a week is honestly crazy. Are there really that many Cerberus bases Shepard hasn't destroyed, or weren't deserted after their HQ was destroyed, and the Illusive Man was killed? Pirates and raiders are understandable, but I don't think Cerberus would have the will power to keep going so strongly after the events of Mass Effect 3. Honestly events are just go, there shoot that, get shot, die. Nothing passive, ever. The ship gets shot to hell after every big fight when the crew claims it to have a stealth drive. The ship is in no ways meant to serve as a military vessel, even with all the upgrades.

"So then what the fuck do we do then?" Simple, change our mission. There are other people more qualified to fight. Real soldiers. We're just a ragtag group of people who want to do good. We can do other things then shooting Cerberus remnants or being thrown into Thresher Maw territory. We can go to colonies, help them rebuild, deliver supplies and aid. "But that's dumb!" Well you know what's dumb? Sending the crew, who is mostly nonmilitary, to fight battles other people are more qualified as I've said earlier. Just because we're helping colonies doesn't mean we won't get into the odd fight from pirates or something. So don't think just because we don't mainly shoot things means we won't at all.

This is my long ass rant. Take it as you want. Hate me if you want. Start a flame war if you want. These are just my thoughts.

Are we even fit to be a task group? Giphy
HereticsEnd
HereticsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post by Filtershakes Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:53 am

Although I'm a huge fan of MERP, I think I've mentioned my alternative to military rp if everyone wants to remain on a ship:

pirat

In all seriousness though, yeah it doesn't make a ton of sense why but to play devil's advocate (perhaps more literally here) events like that are easier to write and set up. Me and crystal have been working on a more involved event we're planning to present to piano for approval and well planned out and thought events require much more time and effort put in, which obviously increases development time and thus delay between events. So it can be partialyl explained as pressures of both running a server, writing events, and leading the ship IC (most admins have characters in leadership roles) causing too much work to pile up.
Filtershakes
Filtershakes

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterMedicMan Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:17 am

Nazz wrote:If we're meant to be a military task-force, then shouldn't the people on the ground be people who can handle it? Not, "Here you go mister engine-room worker, go shoot the bad guys good."

I truly believe that a lot of the drama and mental illness stuff just stems from poor character writing, and the inability to properly RP the shit from the get-go. A lot of people tend to assume that all PTSD is, is a bunch of mental breakdowns with the throwing of hands along with screaming and shouting. Misconceptions like this tend to lead to flat-out 'bad roleplay', because not only do people spread these logical fallacies, but they do so in a way that makes people believe that characters who're suffering from these illnesses to be derogatory retards, for lack of better terminology.

Now, people are probably going to go; 'Well jiminy-jillickers, Nazz. Why are you so desensitized to other peoples' problems!!!!!!????!!!111!!!1one!'.

Welp. I can sum it up in one phrase; Make characters that fit the plot, not a plot to fit the characters.

Like any game-world, the people running this server have set the tone. Like a storybook introduction, they've given us the what, where, when. It's up to you, the players, to fill in the who. The who should coincide with the majority of the plot-points, not re-write the entire story for a few new characters.
Yes, this.

I also have like 50 gripes but to name one, why is it suddenly cool to have 50 million mental disorders, and on top of such, blatantly refuse to follow orders because -- muh' emotions? I'm just gonna dip from this thread, honestly. Not going to bother.

e: I just -- That's why the server's not really satisfying; it's a lot more stressful/annoying than it is fun for me. Doesn't feel like a MERP as it does running a daycare centre. Typically, when I think of a military roleplay, I think of a military. Not an Anime High School.
MasterMedicMan
MasterMedicMan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Soviet Pikachu Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:33 am

The reason why most people have these mental issues is because of the reaper artifact from oh so long ago. I don't think any admin has explained if these effects were temporary, or what these effects really were. So with no information given the players fill in the blanks themselves. Hell I remember a admin telling me "Make up what happens to you." So in honesty the mental thing is really more of the admins not informing the players of what the effects were, so they took it into their own hands.
The Soviet Pikachu
The Soviet Pikachu

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterMedicMan Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:37 am

I'm pretty sure it was made clear that it was temporary more than once, actually. That also doesn't excuse the fact that we're literally a daycare. What're your thoughts on that aspect of it?
MasterMedicMan
MasterMedicMan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Soviet Pikachu Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:43 am

As for the daycare issue Dex. I honestly do think I'm some daycare teacher watching kids at times. It has gotten to the point of OOCLY thinking "Wow what is this kindergarten?" to ICLY saying "Wow what is this kindergarten?". There are times I just passive in the medbay only to get a call over the radio about two, unnamed, special kids sparing with stun batons and one of them having their entire stomach reopened to the point of organs would fall out. Sure I don't mind a bit of goofing off between co-workers. But the fact I hear nothing but drama at times, fighting, etc, I honestly would think my character would leave. But I don't want to do that. Because I don't want to end my characters story because I can't continue that on my own. So I stick through it.
The Soviet Pikachu
The Soviet Pikachu

Back to top Go down

Post by Filtershakes Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:04 pm

Careful not to mix IC and OOC feelings. The military aspect doesn't work out very well here either because of that- the diverse range of character backgrounds. Now, doing the opposite and making it less diverse would kill the thing that makes it mass effect, so I do think it's mostly the military rp aspect.
Filtershakes
Filtershakes

Back to top Go down

Post by Brayton Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:17 pm

MasterMedicMan wrote:I'm pretty sure it was made clear that it was temporary more than once, actually. That also doesn't excuse the fact that we're literally a daycare. What're your thoughts on that aspect of it?

From my understanding, for Pip and Brayton. Its permanent until a better solution is found.

I've also been doing my best to take it like a billion steps back, if I'm fucking up that up in the RP. Please tell me.

This is how Marines Act.

Brayton

Back to top Go down

Post by Satan Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:01 pm

Marines act like complete jackasses when not DOING SOMTHING IMPORTANT.
They also don't go "MUH FEELINGS!" when a single insult is thrown their way.

TL;DR Do what Nazz said, don't be making the setting fit YOUR character. Make YOUR character fit the setting.
Satan
Satan

https://singularitygaming.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by TheIrishGhost Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:32 pm

To be perfectly honest. Some of the IC stuff that happens is kind of childish. A character of mine has done it. Stopped that in it's tracks. But I came from a server called AlteredRP. Now, to put this in perspective, I was in the ODSTs. Everyday, we had 2-3 events. Every player, 20-30+ demanded for events. People barely passived and those that did were good RPers. When I came here. I loved the fact that an event happens every 3-7 days. Why? Because that means passive. I find the amount of events for the server is perfectly fine. Honestly, don't change them.

But when it comes to the drama section. I find a bit too much for a military vessel or whatever the fuck it is we are. We have mercenaries or people with no military experience at fucking all. They try to be someone who rebels against others or seem like they are hot shit by trying to get others in trouble. The drama here isn't cringy, but more just bad character development. PTSD, killing a bunch of krogan children.

Actually. Let's bring that up. Players hate other players ICly because we killed children bred for war. All because some people feel they have to feel bad for killing them that it makes them right apparently. People crying over dead bodies in the middle of a FUCKING FIREFIGHT! (Yes, these are IC issues and can be dealt with IC, but they can be OOCly dealt with as well, I hate that bullshit excuse of IC is IC, because it never is.) I like the server, I play on it to RP as a Military Turian/Human. Rumours get spread around, people attempting to uproot others for what they do in their own time.

Anyway, gonna end my rant here.
I'd like for things to be more military like, but if not then eh, I'll deal with the bullshit.
TheIrishGhost
TheIrishGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterMedicMan Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:44 pm

-nevermind-

i agree somewhat with what irish said

e:

not to dictate characters, but for real guys
this is a military more so than it is a 'do whatever the fuck you want because it's mass effect' rp
MasterMedicMan
MasterMedicMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Filtershakes Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:30 pm

Maybe if we can't do military rp to standards, we shouldn't be doing military rp?

Po-lice that moostache.
Filtershakes
Filtershakes

Back to top Go down

Post by Legion Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:58 pm

Are we even fit to be a task group? Knife-hand-o
Are we even fit to be a task group? 2010-06-08-Strip_41_Standing_Post_Boredom_web

Heres your military RP.
Legion
Legion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nazz Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:25 pm

Hey uh. Application reviewers.

You know you can deny characters....

right?

Like, if they don't fit. You're not exactly obliged to say, "Yes, person with several murder convictions and alcoholism. Come join our fair."

You don't have to do that.

I promise.

To put it simply; The people in-charge need to start enforcing some shit if we want to be a military crew. If we're not -- hurry up and say-so already so I can go make jangles the fucking clown.
Nazz
Nazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Filtershakes Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:49 pm

Yeah, prothy the prothen needs to special snowflake this motherfucker up.

No but going back to Legion's post- he's in an actual military (National Guard, right?) so he can probably speak with some experience (more than most of us, far as I'm aware, correct if wrong!) on what day-to-day actions tend to be.

Filtershakes
Filtershakes

Back to top Go down

Post by Nazz Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:23 am

Filtershakes wrote:Yeah, prothy the prothen needs to special snowflake this motherfucker up.

No but going back to Legion's post- he's in an actual military (National Guard, right?) so he can probably speak with some experience (more than most of us, far as I'm aware, correct if wrong!) on what day-to-day actions tend to be.

We don't sit around at a base, though. Nat guard don't do a whole lot tbh. If we're supposedly Marines -- or at least based off of the Marines, we should be setting up beach-heads for people to come garrison, or entrench areas.
Nazz
Nazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Brayton Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:18 am

Nazz wrote:
Filtershakes wrote:Yeah, prothy the prothen needs to special snowflake this motherfucker up.

We don't sit around at a base, though. Nat guard don't do a whole lot tbh. If we're supposedly Marines -- or at least based off of the Marines, we should be setting up beach-heads for people to come garrison, or entrench areas.

There's a certain point where you have to carve out the realism and that point is usually when someone starts talking about Garrison/Beachheads. We have to come to terms that firstly, our unit is not going to be exactly the same as current marine units operate and Bioware have given us a can of fuckall with a plate of fuck yourself. The best we can guess right now honestly is that they do in fact use American Marine ranking system and thats it. We don't know how intertwined Marine and Navy are, whether Garrison operate more like Army or current marines who've become so far detached from their original intentions they alongside SWAT are spitting images of mission creep.

To state clearly, we do not have enough to make the argument that they'd be exactly like US marines. Further with any RP/Media/Videogame unless its a simulation like ARMA, you want to create enough realism that immersion occurs but not so much that people literally have to RP performing latrine duty and then spend 5 hours at fucking parade rest while the Top screams in grunts and confusingly erotic groans while the officers in the distance lose their shit over it. Even if the latter sounds like a hilarious one off passive minievent that I might wanna do for shits and giggles.

This issue, and these same argument are brought up time and time again with every RP that deals with military shit and everytime we hit the same brickwall of some people pushing for something like pirates and someone wanting to re-enact everything to such a minut detail that we get lost in the bureaucratic shitfest involving getting a can of beans.

To put it bluntly, we need to find the balance between realism and fun and after talking with a few people my final conclusion is thusly.

1. A crackdown on characters needs to occur, and I don't just mean locking up the alcohol cabinet. They most likely signed an agreement with when joining this First Contact force, whether they're military or not they will operate under Alliance Guidelines(Unless specified otherwise) and it should be enforced as such. Conflict drives roleplay, drama does not. Drama is not conflict and most the RP produced thus far due to a fairly lazy and heavy handed approach has lead to far more drama.

2.We need more NCO ranks, we have 50+ IC troops and 30+ regularly during major events. Where is the Top? The Gunnys? Fucking Master Sergeants? I understand that because of the way Gmod works creating squads is difficult but we have 30 people, that's a platoon. We can easily fill in roles that allow Corporals(the actual people meant to lead fireteams) a chance to actually do their job and allow Lieutenants and sergeants the ability to coordinate more effectively. We somehow have exploded in CO ranks but NCO ranks are completely left barren with two empty options that leave very little in the way of RP potential. This will give players a greater opportunity to lead and allow admins the ability to actually, ya know, do events and let players dictate what happens through IC actions.

3. Finally, we need to make it clear when it is and is not okay to be an unprofessional fuckwad because tightening the belt will only kill the passive that usually is the strongest part of this server. The times and decisions are almost seemingly at random a lot of times completely OOC reasoned for. You cannot be working 24/7. Marines infamously get bored and wrack of DUIs and other shit all the time, but the difference is that most soldiers are completely professional(as pro as you can given combat conditions and SNAFU) on the field. Off? Holy shit. Different story. Being able to goof off is an important part of any RP, we should not smack it down so long as it gets retarded which ultimately is up to the IC NCOs and COs to determine. Not OOC Admins and such.

Brayton

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackout13425 Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:57 am

All I am going to say is...

TRAINING. IC. TRAINING.

I'ma bring it up IC as well. Because training simulations (Not a fucking area that was meant for fun.) would infact help everyone in the long run. How to work as a squad, how to use the radio properly, how to fire a fire arm properly. etc etc.

It does not need to be a everyday thing. But one of those once a week type of things. It would help people quite a bit. (Such as my character who has no military history beyond the task force.) Thats all I'ma say.

Blackout13425

Back to top Go down

Post by Legion Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:45 am

Nazz wrote:

You'd be surprised how much time I spend at Fort Drum, the NG barracks there are practically my second home at this point. That one weekend a month stuff is just what your recruiter tells you. Im currently on a deployment cycle for 2019 and on my way to JRTC a multi unit war game coming up this July.
Legion
Legion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nazz Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:36 pm

Legion wrote:You'd be surprised how much time I spend at Fort Drum, the NG barracks there are practically my second home at this point. That one weekend a month stuff is just what your recruiter tells you. Im currently on a deployment cycle for 2019 and on my way to JRTC a multi unit war game coming up this July.

My point being we've never been garrisoned anywhere. I think it would be interesting. It'd call for an at least semi-proessional demeanor, rather than a college dorm.
Nazz
Nazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Legion Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:09 pm

Nazz wrote:
Legion wrote:You'd be surprised how much time I spend at Fort Drum, the NG barracks there are practically my second home at this point. That one weekend a month stuff is just what your recruiter tells you. Im currently on a deployment cycle for 2019 and on my way to JRTC a multi unit war game coming up this July.

My point being we've never been garrisoned anywhere. I think it would be interesting. It'd call for an at least semi-proessional demeanor, rather than a college dorm.

I like that, would be much better than the linear shoot'em up in and out missions. A few day, hell even week long deployment would be pretty cool. Conduct raids, defend our FOB from enemy attack, sit around contemplating life, jerk off in the dookie hut. The possibilities are endless. But in all seriousness an FOB style event is what we kinda need. When shit like that happens formation bullshit goes out the window. You dont sniper check your superiors. It would be more serious but at the same time a little more laid back. All we need is a map.
Legion
Legion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nazz Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:06 pm

Legion wrote:

I like that, would be much better than the linear shoot'em up in and out missions. A few day, hell even week long deployment would be pretty cool. Conduct raids, defend our FOB from enemy attack, sit around contemplating life, jerk off in the dookie hut. The possibilities are endless. But in all seriousness an FOB style event is what we kinda need. When shit like that happens formation bullshit goes out the window. You dont sniper check your superiors. It would be more serious but at the same time a little more laid back. All we need is a map.

Devil's Nest is an SST map, but it's still good.
Nazz
Nazz

Back to top Go down

Post by VSterminator7 Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Nazz wrote:
Legion wrote:

Devil's Nest is an SST map, but it's still good.

I second Devil's Nest. It has everything we need, minus a bar. And lots of secret places I'm still finding out.
VSterminator7
VSterminator7

Back to top Go down

Post by Legion Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:08 am

I was thinking more outside the base, so we can easily transition from passive to combat RP in a single sitting. We go out have a bout with the locals then hightail it back to our FOB afterwards.
Legion
Legion

Back to top Go down

Post by Brayton Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:02 pm

Legion wrote:
Nazz wrote:

The issue is you'd need an admin to plan that all out because as much as I love the idea, every time I've tried it all I got from a majority of players is massive amounts of bitching. The SST strategy of ship over desert or arctic wasteland is long since been dead. Players want a new map over and over, its the annoying reality I had to come to terms with during both of the SN's I basically ran.

Brayton

Back to top Go down

Post by archer336 Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:16 pm

Brayton wrote:The issue is you'd need an admin to plan that all out because as much as I love the idea, every time I've tried it all I got from a majority of players is massive amounts of bitching. The SST strategy of ship over desert or arctic wasteland is long since been dead. Players want a new map over and over, its the annoying reality I had to come to terms with during both of the SN's I basically ran.

Oh tell me more about those  "SN's I basically ran." I'm intrigued.

Though, In detail about this thread in general. Saying that having a template map beneath our ship isn't exactly the worst idea. At least if something is not happening and this spans for multiple nights in a row. I mean, I have no complaints from my perspective from what I've done in the server whilst I've been here for the past few days. But I can see where in the long run for this community if everything keeps getting delayed due to X reason. I feel as if having "throw-away" events in order to actually do something when nothing /CAN/ happen due to things such as people forgetting to upload maps or needed content which is required for your next event.

Also, I've seen previously with those maps in ZC and other Starship Trooper Communities and even in SN / RPC that you can do ALOT with a base template map. I've seen Canyons and research bases being made by simple building, you just need to put some time and effort into it. It's not a bland map which "everybody wants to change" The reasons why those maps exist is because you can do quite a lot with those maps when there is no "Story" events I s'pose. It's just any administrator who can organize something which isn't completely essential to keep everybody entertained and occupied. Instead of our current situation right now is, wait until 3AM, play an event and simply wait and see if you can actually get involved or not. Or simply see it delayed.

Edit: However, being deployed for X Amount of time for maps such as Devils-Nest or anything of a sort is something which we should and is healthy to do, just as long as we don't spend too much time doing nothing. Let us also realize that a possible issue that some of these things happen is really due to Event organizers being unable to upload to the server of the stuff in which they wish to do. Maybe as an admin team you could discuss on getting that worked on.
archer336
archer336

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianotugboat Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:55 pm

archer336 wrote:
Brayton wrote:The issue is you'd need an admin to plan that all out because as much as I love the idea, every time I've tried it all I got from a majority of players is massive amounts of bitching. The SST strategy of ship over desert or arctic wasteland is long since been dead. Players want a new map over and over, its the annoying reality I had to come to terms with during both of the SN's I basically ran.

Though, In detail about this thread in general. Saying that having a template map beneath our ship isn't exactly the worst idea. At least if something is not happening and this spans for multiple nights in a row. I mean, I have no complaints from my perspective from what I've done in the server whilst I've been here for the past few days. But I can see where in the long run for this community if everything keeps getting delayed due to X reason. I feel as if having "throw-away" events in order to actually do something when nothing /CAN/ happen due to things such as people forgetting to upload maps or needed content which is required for your next event.

Also, I've seen previously with those maps in ZC and other Starship Trooper Communities and even in SN / RPC that you can do ALOT with a base template map. I've seen Canyons and research bases being made by simple building, you just need to put some time and effort into it. It's not a bland map which "everybody wants to change" The reasons why those maps exist is because you can do quite a lot with those maps when there is no "Story" events I s'pose. It's just any administrator who can organize something which isn't completely essential to keep everybody entertained and occupied. Instead of our current situation right now is, wait until 3AM, play an event and simply wait and see if you can actually get involved or not. Or simply see it delayed.

Edit: However, being deployed for X Amount of time for maps such as Devils-Nest or anything of a sort is something which we should and is healthy to do, just as long as we don't spend too much time doing nothing. Let us also realize that a possible issue that some of these things happen is really due to Event organizers being unable to upload to the server of the stuff in which they wish to do. Maybe as an admin team you could discuss on getting that worked on.

Recent real life incidents kept me from actually handling the upload, also I need to talk to the guy that provides the server before I can add anyone to the panel, WHICH Im pretty sure I dont even have access to doing yet.
Pianotugboat
Pianotugboat
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by archer336 Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:44 pm

Hopefully you realize that I'm not particularly blaming you for that. I'm fully aware of your situation during then but what I said still pretty much stands. There has to be more access to the Admins who organize events. That's the only message I'm trying to give you. So I apologize if you took offense to that.

More or less the same message to the person who owns the server, they also need to work with you. Otherwise it's simply not going to work out and this'll be a continuous thing.
archer336
archer336

Back to top Go down

Post by Brayton Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:06 pm

archer336 wrote:

[/color][/b][/i]

If you're trying to dig a knife into something you should walk the hell away because I'm not talking about yours. The issue with SN is there have been so many fucking reboots its become almost impossible to actually tell which is which unless you talk about the story for each.

For most of the people who are here, it was the lore I wrote for Humpers and the subsequent attempt at SG to get it off the ground again. Also ZC has an expectancy for it; most people don't identify long term ground deployments with Mass Effect.

A lot of it deals with ships since the main force of any Mass Effect military is naval, most of the major combat is Naval. A lot of the turning points in combat show are naval.

We're not a SSTRP server, nor are we a militaryRP server. We're a Mass Effect RP server. If you're expecting any sort of realism, I'm unfortunately gonna have to point you toward the door and instruct you to watch out because it will smack you on the ass on the way out.

Brayton

Back to top Go down

Post by archer336 Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:31 pm

Brayton wrote:
If you're trying to dig a knife into something you should walk the hell away because I'm not talking about yours. The issue with SN is there have been so many fucking reboots its become almost impossible to actually tell which is which unless you talk about the story for each.

For most of the people who are here, it was the lore I wrote for Humpers and the subsequent attempt at SG to get it off the ground again. Also ZC has an expectancy for it; most people don't identify long term ground deployments with Mass Effect.

A lot of it deals with ships since the main force of any Mass Effect military is naval, most of the major combat is Naval. A lot of the turning points in combat show are naval.

We're not a SSTRP server, nor are we a militaryRP server. We're a Mass Effect RP server. If you're expecting any sort of realism, I'm unfortunately gonna have to point you toward the door and instruct you to watch out because it will smack you on the ass on the way out.

This server may not be as "hardcore" as a military server as you're trying to make out. But the theme and clearly what we are doing on the Roleplay is that we're operating on a Military vessel, a mass the majority of people are fucking around with ranks and pretty much we're going on assignments once in a while and simply also consider on on parading around specifically that we're on a Task Force. We've also got combatant roles and non combatant roles, and surprisingly enough you seem it needed that the ranks need to be fixed because you believed that we've got too many NCOs. You said it yourself on the server.

I don't know. From what I've seen with my experience here for the past few days makes it seem almost like a Military themed roleplaying server based in the Mass Effect Universe. So if we're not a Military Roleplaying server, what are we at all? Are we just "A Bunch of cunts in space and some people are pretty much aliens and also they have ranks" Roleplay?

I'm quite sure I've given some pretty good advice in my previous post, I'm pretty determined to try and help out just like others in this group are willing to do. But I will not tolerate being told to leave, so keep those threats to yourself.

Meanwhile, if you believe that we're not at all along the basis of being a Military Roleplaying server set in the Mass Effect Universe, I suggest that this be specifically stated somewhere, because it seems as if some people are getting the impression that this server is exactly so.

Last edited by archer336 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
archer336
archer336

Back to top Go down

Post by Legion Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:36 pm

MasterMedicMan wrote:-nevermind-

i agree somewhat with what irish said

e:

not to dictate characters, but for real guys
this is a military more so than it is a 'do whatever the fuck you want because it's mass effect' rp

Legion
Legion

Back to top Go down

Post by BillCosby Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:53 pm

The Soviet Pikachu wrote:
Honestly events are just go, there shoot that, get shot, die. Nothing passive, ever.

Well I've been trying to ask admins to let me suggest an event where we can do passive rp in an FOB, interact with locals instead of killing anyone that's not us and spending more than an hour running around a map and leaving to wait another week on the ship since the last server. But I've been ignored so far when trying to ask.

BillCosby

Back to top Go down

Post by Legion Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:26 pm

No, were not and heres why. In the past few weeks Ive noticed the server go from sensible to just fuckery. Because people do not adhere to how military rankings or the military in general works. A joint task force as the google definition states is a "joint" (multi-service) ad hoc military formation. The task force concept originated with the United States Navy around the beginning of the Second World War in the Pacific. "Combined" is the British-American military term for multi-national formations. To Barney it for you, its a group of multiple nations, in our case species coming together to work on a shared goal. This means that there are no JTF Rankings. I've heard people use the division as a standpoint for Joint Task Force operations before.

Are we even fit to be a task group? 4bbac2d99f6d0bfd3e6b6900b3f21d5a
Find whats wrong with this picture and tell me if the Division is still a credible source. (Hint: The flag is facing the wrong way.)

Right well back on topic. Ranks, say you're an Alliance Marine lets call you SSgt. Joe Schmoe, a seasoned infantry vet. (MOS 0311, sidenote were using US Army MOS designations when were marines??) While our situation is rather strange and different than actual JTF operations. Sergeant Joe Schmoe would keep the rank he has earned through combat and he would be treated as a Staff Sergeant by the various crew members. LT T. Turian hops aboard our merry vessel? Hes a Lieutenant.

Now onto the last thing of my small rant. Lets talk about rank hopping like Ive seen aboard the ship. It doesnt happen, each rank has to be earned. There is no Pvt to LCpl fast track unless when you joined you had enough college credits to access a higher rank, or you signed up a buddy. But thats all before you raise your hand and swear in. What Im seeing in this case Ill use Dio is Pvt to Sgt to Lt. This breaks the structure of military rankings completely. I wont get into the admin bullshit that has to go on to go from enlisted to NCO. But a leap from Sgt to Lt? No sense whatsoever. The difference between Commissioned and Non-Commissioned well, is in the title. CO is earned through OCS a rigorous almost 3 month course or ROTC in college. It isnt given out like candy.

If were going to do the whole military RP we need to do it right, adhere to both sides of the coin. Not just the side that suites us. These things are not to be taken as issues ICly, its an OOC problem and should be discussed there.

With Love,
Are we even fit to be a task group? 1nTsJxp
Are we even fit to be a task group? 06c7ac766c7d9a58fa26b9e4390ffbd7
Legion
Legion

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterMedicMan Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:22 pm

aaaAAAaaAAAAAAAAAAAA

sucH A MesS
aM SORTING
MasterMedicMan
MasterMedicMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Arglack Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:39 pm

AaAaAaAaAaAaAaAaAa

This is a neverending chaos post where discussions will always come up and a vicious cycle starts

placing my bets

with love

raik arglack
Arglack
Arglack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down